There are lots of ways to cut down on plastic whether you’re a family, a business, school or other organisation.
Here are some of our favourite tips that are easy to follow and can make a big difference:
- Carry or provide reusable bags, bottles, lunch boxes and cutlery
- Say NO to single-use bags, straws and other disposable plastic items wherever possible.
- Bring your own bags to the supermarket for loose fresh produce – some shops will even accept your own containers for meat, fish and cheese
- Dine in at cafes and restaurants that use real cups and crockery
- Actively support shops and businesses that are taking steps to reduce plastic – and ask others what steps they are taking.
- Swap liquid soap and shampoos for bar soap – and use cosmetics firms that offer to recycle/refill their packaging.
- Download the Refill App at refill.org.uk to see where you can get tap water on the go
- Find out which local shops can refill your detergent, laundry and shampoo bottles
- Use a laundry bag to avoid synthetic clothes shedding plastic microfibres in the wash
- Get to know what plastics you can and can’t recycle through your council recycling scheme (and try to cut down on the ones you can’t)